Certification work

Electrical certification of Imported Motorhomes and Caravans

Caravans and Motorhomes imported from the UK and Europe are generally quite easy to convert. However, a few items need to be changed when the vehicle arrives in the country to meet NZ regulations.

We stock many European switches and sockets that meet NZ specs.
All work should be done by an approved practitioner with knowledge of 230 AC in vehicles.

Vehicles imported from the USA will need complete rewiring as the existing cabling is only suitable for 110 volts. The cables cannot be reused as they are not rated to our higher 240-volt systems, and they don't meet some of our other regulations either.

Some of the existing appliances will be designed for use on 110 volts. Our staff have converted a huge number of US vehicles in the last decade and know exactly which appliances can be adapted and what needs to be done to get certification. 

Gas certification of Motorhomes and Caravans - (New imports)

Since 2013, the new gas regulations became compulsory, and all vehicles with gas appliances were considered high risk and required to have certification when registered in NZ.
All newly imported vehicles need to have at least some form of gas work done to bring them up to NZ standards. The work is signed off by our gas certifier recorded in an NZ WorkSafe database, and linked to the vehicle registration number. This effectively removes liability from the importer of the vehicle; if the vehicle is not certified, the importer remains liable for the lifetime of the vehicle or until it has been deemed safe and is certified.  
Gas certification of Motorhomes and Caravans - (Vehicles predating new regulations)
Existing vehicles that predate the current regulations do not have to comply with the new regulations, except in cases where the gas plumbing is altered in any way. This will result in the vehicle having to comply to the latest standards.

The gas safety certificate is issued after any work is done on a vehicle's existing gas system, for example, after changing an appliance, assuming that the vehicle has an existing and current Gas Certificate.

If the vehicle does not have a current Gas Certificate, we will issue a Full gas certificate instead of a gas safety certificate.
To obtain a Full Gas Certificate, existing appliances or any parts of the gas system that do not meet the current gas regulations will need to be upgraded to the latest specifications.
Our list of requirements for a Full Gas Cert is as follows:
  • All appliances must have flame failure protection
  • All appliances must be correctly installed according to regulations
  • All gas pipes must be in solid copper sheathed pipe
  • Gas bottles must be stored correctly in a locker sealed from the inside of the vehicle
  • The gas regulator must have a pressure test point
  • Vehicles must have a gas detector
  • Vehicles must have a CO detector

Self Containment Certification

Vantage RV fit and alter tanks and plumbing to any RV, Caravan, motor-home or house bus.
We have been doing this for more than a decade and can find a solution to almost any problem. 

We provide a self-containment inspection service and sign off for certification. 

If you just require an inspection and you have done the work yourself, please ensure that your vehicle meets all the requirements we do not provide a training service for caravan and motorhome waste plumbing, we will charge for the time spent training and advising customers who want to do the work them selves
The following organizations provide good information.
The regulations are available on the internet.
For more information or to arrange to have your vehicle assessed, please contact us through our contact page